Financial Capability Mentoring
Te Korowai Trust, based in Whakatū (Nelson), provides free and confidential financial mentoring in the community with qualified advisers with the support of Rata Foundation. Advisers are committed to providing a quality service which will make a positive difference to whānau and will help them to have increased financial capability.
Te Korowai Trust is funded by Ministry of Social Development to provide the ‘Building Financial Capability Plus’ contract. This is an intensive support service for whānau who experience ongoing crises in their lives. Whānau will be supported in building increased financial capability and will also receive a holistic wraparound service for the whole whānau.
Our adviser outcomes include:
- A comprehensive analysis of problem debt.
- Help to prioritise outgoings and to prepare a financial plan.
- Advocacy work with creditors to arrange manageable repayments.
- Specialist work with No Asset Procedures, Summary Installment Orders, bankruptcy and Kiwisaver hardship withdrawal applications.
- To give increased confidence to be able to approach government and community agencies and knowing where to go for help.
Advisers motivate and support whānau to become more self-sufficient, confident and to have the ability to manage their own finances.